In a month when Audi could certainly use some time out of the world’s headlines, another round of bad news has hit the German manufacturer and led to both a sales halt and an extensive recall. Over 139,000 A6 and A7 sedans are affected by a sensor glitch in the airbag system, which could result in the cars’ front passenger airbag failing to deploy in an accident.
Per Consumer Reports, the sensor in question is responsible for determining whether the passenger seat is occupied, and communicating that fact to the airbag control module. Premature wear to the sensor can lead to the car not realizing that the seat is, in fact, occupied.
RELATED: AUDI R8 SPOTTED WITH ALL NEW LOOK
The glitch can be evidenced by an airbag light becoming illuminated on the instrument panel, as well as by whether the passenger airbag off light remains illuminated while the seat is occupied. The sensor in question is installed in the range of A6 and A7 trims, including the S6 and S7, as well as the RS7.
In a news cycle which includes a top executive being arrested, this development provides a further blow to the brand as it continues to suffer from dieselgate repercussions. Additionally, owners of the A6 in particular may begin to feel frustration, after 538,000 cars built between 2012 and 2015 were recalled only last year due to a potential fire risk caused by overheating of the electric coolant pump.
Owners of the A6 and A7 sedans affected by the newest recall, which includes models years 2012 to 2018, have been advised to bring their cars into an Audi repair shop, and in the meantime if symptoms of the problem appear to either stop driving their cars altogether or stop using the front passenger seat.
For those consumers worried their cars may be affected, please check the car’s original manufacturing date and compare against the list below (if in doubt, contact your Audi dealer):
- Model Year 2012 to 2015 A6 - built April 4, 2011 to Dec. 23, 2014
- Model Year 2016 to 2018 A6 - built Oct. 29, 2014 to April 30, 2018
- Model Year 2012 to 2015 A7 - built Jan. 27, 2011 to Jan. 31, 2015
- Model Year 2016 to 2018 A7 - built Oct. 31, 2014 to April 6, 2018
- Model Year 2013 to 2015 S6 - built June 25, 2012 to Dec. 18, 2014
- Model Year 2016 to 2018 S6 - built Feb. 6, 2015 to April 26, 2018
- Model Year 2016 to 2018 S7 - built Feb. 7, 2015 to March 23, 2018
- Model Year 2013 to 2015 S7 - built June 27, 2012 to Feb. 12, 2015
- Model Year 2014 to 2018 RS7 - built July 25, 2013 to April 4, 2018